Thursday, September 15, 2011

Dancing Through Life


I started taking ballet lessons with Dorothy Gunther Pugh at Memphis Concert Ballet when I was in the first grade. I do not remember much about those early years, but my mother tells me I was Mrs. Pugh's shadow. While the other children would wait patiently for her to demonstrate the steps, I would follow closely behind, too excited to notice I was the only student chasing her across the room.

I love dance; it has always thrilled me. I even love watching other people dance, because I believe dance is a part of all of us. I was fortunate to find ballet as a vehicle for my artistic expression. While growing up in the Ballet Memphis School, I was encouraged to use my imagination to develop my passion. I was taught to work hard with integrity and discipline.

There were five years of classes before I was allowed to audition for the Junior Company. The day I was accepted I remember thinking, "This is the greatest day of my life." I was right. In the Junior Company I was introduced to the beauty of performing. Being part of the Junior Company gave me the opportunity to share all that I had learned and loved with others. While working with Ms. Parke, I learned the importance of connecting to others through my dancing. She gave me countless insights on using movement to convey story and emotion, and always pushed me to explore and work on my own.

After graduating high school, I was offered a trainee position with the company. I did not know at the time that I was stepping into a new world of possibility, but what a beautiful experience it has been dancing with Ballet Memphis. I continue to be inspired by my fellow dancers every day. Their commitment and talent is life-changing, and I am always amazed at their generosity on stage, how they give so much of themselves to the work. Ballet Memphis is unique and I cannot imagine my life without it. It has become my second home, where I am pushed to love more, give honestly and never give up. I am grateful that Ballet Memphis is also a place where I can pass my experience along to someone else who might also find hope in its beauty.

Pictured top left, throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at a Memphis Redbirds game. Her red pointe shoes were from The Wizard of Oz. Pictured bottom right, Rachel appeared on the front cover of Ballet Memphis' 25th Anniversary season mailer.

1 comment:

princess truffle fluff said...

You've always been my favorite dancer. Thank you for being such an inspiration to so many--both in and out of the ballet world!
-Caroline