Friday, September 9, 2011

Designing My Happiness


I'm incredibly honored to be choreographing my first commission piece for Ballet Memphis. It's a lot of hard work and extra hours spent outside of the studio thinking about a concept and figuring out ways to make what I want to say 'danceable'. I'm collaborating with a local musician and artist on this ballet. Fille Catatonique is the eclectic sound of Marcella René Simien. Her original music and art work, as well as stories, coincide with my theme of the design of happiness. We are both young people and artists figuring out our paths in this world. It's been even more eye opening to share thoughts and ideas back and forth with someone who is so talented, and in another artistic field.

I fell in love with Marcella's music over the summer and it was obvious to me from the beginning that I would use her works and catalog. Her voice is so full of love and pain and sorrow, all things we experience on our road to happiness.

No comments: