Monday, November 21, 2011

My Memphis Story


It's the week of Thanksgiving, and as always, it's a time to reflect on the things in our lives that we may take for granted any other week of the year. This year, I can't help but be grateful that I'm in Memphis. It's been at the front of my mind during my commute to work each morning as I've passed the beautiful trees dressed in the vibrant colors this season has brought. I think it has been an exceptionally lovely autumn and has made me appreciate the beauty of my hometown more than usual.

This city is special to me and I am blessed to call it my home. Not many dancers are as fortunate as I am to have been born in a city with such a fabulous ballet company. When my parents enrolled me at Ballet Memphis (then Memphis Concert Ballet) as a 5-year-old, I'm sure they had no idea that their choice of ballet schools would basically design the course of my life. I loved growing up in the school and all the opportunities that came along with being a Ballet Memphis student. I remember watching and admiring the professional dancers.

As a Junior Company member, I got to dance with the company in many of their mainstage productions. I'm sure had I not loved every second of those experiences, I wouldn't have chosen to become a professional dancer. As a junior at White Station High School, I knew that I wanted to dance professionally, but not just with any company. I wanted to be a part of the company I had grown up adoring. I remember discussing with my parents that I could try it for a year and if it wasn't for me, I could always go to college and choose a different path. That first trial year as a 17-year-old apprentice was followed by six additional years that seemed to fly by.

I spent 2008-2009 with The Trey McIntyre Project, but following that year, I came home to Memphis to heal a shin fracture. After taking a year off from ballet completely, I returned to Ballet Memphis and felt more at home than ever. The two years away from this company, made it so evident to me where my heart wanted to be. I am so deeply connected to this city and this ballet company. I feel that they both have greatly formed important parts of my identity.

Now, as I'm in the middle of my ninth season with the company, I love running into people that I went to high school with or other girls that I grew up with in the Junior Company who have since gone in different directions. Just this morning, while having brunch at Brother Juniper's, I ran into an old friend, reminding me that Memphis is just a very big small town. I love that I have a history here with family and friends. I've always thought it a great privilege to dance for people I know and who know me. With Nutcracker just a couple of weeks away, I'm remembering my Saturday evening show last year, where so many of my friends and family were at the Orpheum to see me perform as the Sugar Plum Fairy. I think I had nearly 70 people in the audience! It was a magical night, but I always feel a bond with our Memphis audience because I've been performing here for so long now.

I am so thankful to call Memphis home. And I'm equally grateful to have found such a wonderful home with Ballet Memphis. What better time to ponder all of this than during Thanksgiving. I hope everyone enjoys the holiday this week and will take a few moments to think about all the wonderful things our city has to offer, especially Ballet Memphis. See you all at Nutcracker.

No comments: