Friday, November 4, 2011

Nutcracker: Through the Years


Being a part of Ballet Memphis’s production of Nutcracker is one of the best experiences that I have ever had. Auditioning is just step one of the process. For me, auditions are nerve-wracking yet very exhilarating; year after year I audition, but each time it is just as difficult. When I walk into an audition hundreds of thoughts rush through my mind all at once. I hear thoughts telling me to relax or focus, while at the same time I am asking myself if am I doing my best and is my best good enough? I personally believe that auditions are the hardest part of a production process.

Step two: Cast list. Waiting for the email or waiting to see the cast list takes patience. The day that I finally see the email notifying me of my role in Nutcracker is always an exciting day. Although it is a disappointment if I do not get the role I want, I have realized that it is an honor to be a part of the production, and every role is important. The roles that I have received in the Nutcracker have been polichinelle, soldier, party girl, supernumerary, and this year, angel. Although the role of angel seems to be a promising new favorite, I would have to say that being in the party scene has been my favorite thus far. In the party scene, some of the boys and girls are privileged to dance with the company members and interact with them. Something that makes Ballet Memphis so special is the relationship between the company dancers and the students. Being in a production in which there is an opportunity to dance with the professional company is incredible.

The rehearsal process, step three, is one of my favorite phases in producing a show. I love seeing the growth and development that occurs over the course of a couple of months. Step four: performance time. Before a performance, the Junior Company takes warm-up classes backstage. The warm-up classes put us all in the Christmas spirit as we dance to various Christmas classics and attempt the fun yet challenging combinations that go along with the music. The dressing rooms are always full of laughter and enthusiasm. Some dancers sing along to Nutcracker music while helping others with their hair, make-up or costumes. For many of us, we thoroughly enjoy the student performances, hearing Mr. Condon interact with the students each year before the show reminding them of the ballet etiquette in a fun manner. I love to watch from the wings because you get to see the show from a different perspective, and being a dancer you notice things that the audience might not be able to see or recognize. Performing on stage in the Orpheum and seeing the entire show put together is very rewarding. The last performance always brings bittersweet emotions, and everyone is trying to make it his or her best performance. While some know that they will not be back until the following year, others realize that this is their last opportunity to perform Nutcracker on the Orpheum stage.
-- Mollie Marshall
Mollie, a 9th grader at Hutchison, is in her third year with the Junior Company. She's been with Ballet Memphis since she was little, and is currently in Ballet 8, the top level. This year will be Mollie's fifth year to perform in Ballet Memphis' Nutcracker.

No comments: